Tuesday, June 12, 2007

We set off early for the waterfall and at the first garage filled the jeep with petrol. Half a kilometre further along a passing motorist yelled to the monks in the back that petrol was pouring from the car. We stopped. I had to U turn to get to the garage, following a monk on a motorbike! I was watching where he was going and didn't notice as the lights changed - stupid. I pulled to a halt in front of the police box where I discovered that the monk card does beat the foreigner card - I'm fairly sure that without them in the back of the jeep, I'd have had a substantial amount demanded (and possibly the jeep impounded for good measure). Definitely the documents checked and I was a little nervous as my passport and ID card are both off with immigration for the updated work visa to go on, though I figured my driving licence would count now that I have a Laos one. Anyway the policeman just asked me to reverse. Hooray.

The garage took around three or four hours to fix the car. Apparently the weight of the fuel had opened up a rust hole, hence the fuel pouring on the road. They took the thing to pieces as I panicked about the cost. I wandered off to look at a wood shop I'd passed. I fancy getting a blanket box made and thought one of the attractive doors would make a great front. Saw one I loved - beautifully hand carved. $1450 though is a little steep for me! Was stunning though.

Anyway, got back to the garage. They assured me that the work was nearly done, but the engine was still in bits next to the empty car. I sat at the back next to a small lake with coconut trees reflecting beautifully - the best mechanics lounge I've ever had to wait in. I dreaded the bill - five men seemed to be working on it. Finally they drove it round to me. They passed the bill over. One of the monks looked at it first - he knew that I was concerned about how high it would be. He looked worried - it was expensive. He handed me the bill but told me as he did that he might be able to help to pay as full moon day had just happened which meant he had a few kip. I declined him and checked the bill - 100, 000 kip. (around 5 gbp). I think it's fair to say it surprised me but maybe not in the way I expected.

We went on to the waterfall. Two late teen novice monks, three mid teen students of dance, seven week old puppy, and myself. Monks, I assume, stuggling hard with the vows as the stunning dancing girls frolicked in the water. Puppy didn't like the water and looked up at me with huge disappointment that I had put her through such an ordeal. Picnic by the river was lovely, but then scrambling over rocks to get to the waterfall, carrying very timid and scared puppy, I spent too much time looking down at her, and the rocks, not enough time looking ahead. Didn't think anyone ever really walked into a tree. Very embarrassed and a touch sore.

Spent the night in a hotel. Seemed clean but the problem with sharing a room with a puppy is that they hunt out everything they can find. Can't say it was my favourite moment ever to find myself walking to the look in the middle of the night with a used condom stuck to my foot. Yuk doesn't even start to go there!

After trying hard to find a 2007 calendar that I could actually write on, I decided to make one. It's fairly well underway, then I found out about a calendar that's produced following a photo competition. So I've entered - so maybe there will be two calendars with photos of mine on next year (maybe none I guess if they don't pick my photos and for some reason mine doesn't come off - but hopefully two). Anyway, tomorrow night is the judging so they're holding an exhibition of all the pics. It'll be an interesting evening. The theme is Wonders of Laos, so didn't bring enter any of my favourite people pics, just a couple of two of the major attractions of Laos - That Luang - the most revered stupa in Laos, and a monk looking into a jar at the Plain of Jars site.

Also tomorrow, the bods who we're hoping to take on a trip to Australia have said that they will give us their answer - so hopefully tomorrow will be a great day - not a disappointing one!

Photos as always on the flickr account. Still unable to upload them on to this site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.